Valio’s Personnel Principles are personal responsibility, openness, fairness, and equality.
Personal responsibility means taking responsibility for your own work, working productively, and understanding how work is measured.
Openness means that information flows freely, employee differences are utilised, and that we learn from experts.
Fairness means the right to receive feedback on your work and the potential for self-development.
Equality at work means an unbiased approach and offers opportunities for success, so that everyone can succeed in their job.
The realisation of the principles is tracked in the personnel co-operation group comprising representatives of all the various professional groups at Valio, and in shop stewards’ meetings.
Valio develops leadership skills, supervisory work and professional know-how looking to ensure it possesses the expertise required to conduct its business operations successfully. The company offers its employees opportunities for training, coaching, and job rotation.
In 2015, Valio offered members of its personnel training for the roles of supervisor and expert, as well as training related to quality, the environment, and safety.
Particular support was offered for work guidance, familiarisation, and the well-being and co-operation of supervisors and work communities.
The primary training goal was to develop know-how, performance and interaction, and support personal development.
The development of good leadership has been a focal area at Valio since 2009. In 2015, this involved two coaching programs: Appreciative leadership coaching improved the personal strengths of the management. We Make the Best coaching sharpened our common view of quality and specified our goals.
- 2011 MEUR 6.1
- 2012 MEUR 6.2
- 2013 MEUR 6.6
- 2014 MEUR 3.7
- 2015 MEUR 2.1
Valio also supports personnel leisure clubs and rewards its staff for their length of service.
Valio’s goal is zero accidents. Systematic work is carried out to promote occupational safety.
- We always comply with safety regulations and instructions.
- Everyone shall notify risks they observe and respond to any unsafe work activities.
- We continuously improve the working environment, and the safety of our working methods.
- We identify hazards and evaluate the risks that may result from them.
- All hazard situations, accidents and incidents shall be investigated.
- We handle safety issues regularly at various management events.
- We develop our operations in order to speed recovery from serious exceptional situations.
- We improve employees’ safety awareness and know-how.
A satisfying decrease in the number of occupational accidents
The number of occupational accidents decreased considerably in 2015, delivering a reduction of 26% on the year before. As in previous years, the most common type of accident was falling or tripping at work and on the way to or from work.
The number of accidents or instances of occupational disease at Valio totalled 188 in 2015. 19% of these occurred on the way to or from work, and 7% were instances of occupational disease.
There were no fatalities.
Absences caused by accidents decreased by 30%. The longest absences due to occupational accidents were caused by falling or tripping at work or on the way to or from work.
Accident frequency stood at 25 per million working hours, down 27% on 2014.
The highest number of accidents and absences resulted from falling and tripping (25% of all accidents and 60% of resulting absences). Next were those caused by injury involving an object (23% of all accidents and 10% of resulting absences), and the third biggest group was classified as burnout or exhaustion (18% of all accidents and 16% of resulting absences).
Valio records as accidents all cases that result in absence from work or involve treatment costs.
- Valio Ltd personnel by site in Finland 31 Dec. 2016
- Employment on average at Valio Ltd in Finland 2016
- Valio Ltd personnel on average 2016
- Valio Ltd realised working time, overtime, and absence 2016
- Bonuses given to employees 2016
- Valio Ltd personnel information 2016
- Accident frequency at Valio Ltd 2016